Wednesday 16 March 2016

The Mysterious Creature

"Alex, come look at this mess!” I yelled out to him. He came running into the garden. I pointed at the green pieces of shed skin on the grass. It was all over the garden. 

At first, I was too afraid to go near it, but Alex was adventurous enough to take a few steps forward and kneel next to it. My thoughts wondered to all the extreme possibilities - what if it moved? what if it could talk or make sounds? It has only been three days since I brought it home from the morning fair. 

His hands were trembling but he was too curious to stay back. He stretched his hand and gently stroked its exterior. It instantly shriveled back. “Lets pour some water on it and see what happens!” he cried excitedly. I didn’t quite like the idea but there was no stopping Alex. My eyes were fixed on this strange thing. 

Alex came back with two big bottles of water and poured them right onto the creature. It let out a few purring sounds and nuzzled. It gently lifted its head from hiding and looked directly at us. I was petrified. My jaw hung loose in disbelief.  

I dashed into the house, ran up the stairs and stared pounding on my parents' room door. My dad flung open the door. “I didn’t like it when you bought it from the gypsy!” I blurted. I ignored the shocked expression on his face and marched into the room.

 As I had suspected, I saw the portrait hanging on the wall. It was just an empty canvas. The adorable creature that was painted on it was gone ... It was now alive in our garden, and we knew that some mystery was about to unfold…
                   



No comments:

Post a Comment