Sunday 21 August 2016

A Little Piece of Rasputin - A Short Story


Something was amiss. I felt my hair standing on ends and a peculiar tingling sensation all over my body. It felt like an electric pulse. In the background, I could her Ms. Stanford scolding, “Don’t touch that!” but she was too late, I had already done it. Her voice faded and I felt myself transported to a whole new place.

The relic was irresistible and placed in a clear, unsealed, glass casing. It belonged to Rasputin. I was tempted to touch it, and so I did. Little did I know that it was a horrible mistake to touch the reputed pendant of the evil, Russian monk.

I was in a dark place, being transported to someplace I did no know. I had a bushy, long moustache and beard and I was wearing all black. For a moment, I realized that I might had been Rasputin himself. Was I? I could hear two men speaking in a language which I could strangely understand; it was Russian. They were discussing something about a river and the sentries not being there.

The car was moving very fast and I was engulfed in excruciating pain all over. My stomach was twisting and I had trouble breathing. I could barely move with my body bundled up in a scruffy, itchy and dusty rug.

The car pulled over and the two men dragged me out and tossed me clumsily into the icy, cold river. The intense cold gripped me and I tried to swim afloat. My arms were stretched out and my eyes were tightly shut.

The next thing I knew, I was back in the museum, standing where I stood before the whole journey had begun. Ms. Stanford was standing beside me, looking crossed. I tried explaining, but she wouldn’t listen so I made her touch it too. From her expression and bodily movements, I could tell that she would no longer doubt when she returned.

On the school bus back home, Ms. Stanford sat next to me and whispered into my ear, “No one will believe us…”

No comments:

Post a Comment