Thursday 10 May 2018

The Great Pretender

            Serena plonked down onto the couch next to me, “I think Greenhome Properties is going to love our pitch tomorrow. Have you got our storyboard ready?” I nodded as I was too engrossed in my design file to bother looking up. Ever since we started Morrel Corp., I had missed out on two seasons on ‘Stranger Things’, and I hadn’t been to my favorite diner, Pop’s, in weeks!

I sighed as I finished perfecting my winged eyeliner and admired in the mirror what I had been working on for the past hour. I was ready for the pitch. I checked my phone, and it was two hours’ away from showtime. I got into the car and revved my engine when I received a call from Stephanie, my best friend.

She sounded upset, like there was something terribly wrong. She blurted, “You don’t need to go for that pitch. Serena sold your idea to the Carrington Atlantic and she’s probably going to be joining them soon. It’s all over the news! I just saw her and Fallon Carrington on television announcing their idea of eco-friendly homes. We could still-” I interrupted her and began to defend Serena, trying to stay optimistic. Stephanie ended the call. A moment later, she texted me telling me to turn on the news.

I ran into our home office and turned on the television.

A lump formed in my throat and I watched as my dreams crumble. I should have known that she was the snake in the grass and Mom was right the whole time. I guess she was the Great Pretender after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment