Thursday 10 May 2018

The Letter

            My mouth gaped open as I stared at the stained and brittle sheet of paper that was neatly handwritten in disbelief. I glanced again at the envelope to be sure that it was meant for us, The Byers. It was.

            Although the stamp on the envelope was today’s date, the letter was written in 1989. That was ten years ago! I tried to make sense of the new information that I had just read. It was from The Wheelers, the previous owners of the house we live in. They had written to explain to my parents that they felt guilty for disposing their house without disclosing the dark past that surrounds the property. Now it all made sense.

            When I was about seven years old, my family had just moved into the former Wheelers’ house which had been sold to us for quite the bargain. My parents immediately snatched the offer.

About a month after we moved in, my younger sister Nancy, started complaining about a shadowy figure lurking around her room. I’ll never forget the day that Mom brought allowed us to play in the backyard. Mom was on a business phone call and wasn’t watching us. Nancy and I raced towards the lake. As always, crybaby Nancy snatched my teddy bear and when I tried to take it back, she started bawling. Sulking, I went to play on the swing instead.

That’s when I heard Nancy’s bloodcurdling scream. I spun around and I saw Nancy floating on the moss- covered water of the lake. There was nothing I could do but watch helplessly.

            Ever since that day, I’ve lived with the blame of being responsible for my sisters death. And then now… this letter explains it all.

            According to the Wheelers, the house that we live in is haunted by a little girl who drowned in the same lake behind our house. The Wheelers lost two daughters who both drowned on separate occasions. The little girl is always looking for companions to join her by the lake. The house is safe as long as we don’t go close to the lake. Thankfully, after Nancy’s death, I’ve never gone near it.

            Just as I was processing all this, Mom hollered from the kitchen, “Maxine, go join your cousins, they’re already waiting for you by the lake…”

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment